[Bristol-Birds] New Yard Bird

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, HerndonBirdClub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 16:43:27 EST

I've had an interesting mix of birds here at home in Hampton, TN, today (Jan.
5).

It started with a Fox Sparrow and a Red-breasted Nuthatch at the feeders,
although both have been sporadic visitors this winter.

I also had a Yellow-rumped Warbler, which is somewhat unusual for my home in
January. Other birds included Ruby-crowned Kinglet.

The big surprise?

A Northern Pintail hen at the fish pond. The pond is almost completely
frozen, forcing the resident Mallards and two Chinese geese to the unfrozen
water of
Simerly Creek. I was giving the ducks some corn when I noticed a smaller duck
lingering on the fringes. She was easy to identify even without binoculars
once I paid attention to her.

Other wild waterfowl visits to the pond have included American Black Duck,
Blue-winged Teal, Wood Duck, Hooded Merganser and Canada Goose. Bufflehead have
landed on a neighbor's pond.

But this is the first Northern Pintail I have seen on this pond, and an
unexpected yard bird. She didn't approach the offering of corn, but she did
bathe
in the open section of the pond and then settled on the bank to rest. She seems
wary but is making herself at home.

Bryan Stevens,
Simerly Creek Road
Hampton, TN

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in
shape.