[Bristol-Birds] New Record at Mayhorns' Warbler Watch

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 07:51:31 -0400

Area Birders,
59 species was the high count yesterday, the 11th, when 19 birders from VA and
WV  came to join my wife Lynda and me (Roger Mayhorn) on our Warbler Watch Day
to observe the migrants that pass through our property here on Compton Mountain
in Buchanan County. This was a new high species record for our yard, even if
two of the species (Wild Turkey and Whip-poor-will) were to be discounted
because they were observed on the mountain not far from our home. The record
high before was 54 species in one day. That was set in September 2002 by myself
as a single observer without leaving my yard.
 The day dawned to some fantastic fall weather with blue skies and comfortable
temperatures.Some observers arrived as early as 7:00 A.M. and were treated to
views of BLACKBURNIAN WARBLERS, BLACK-THROATED GREENS, CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLERS,
HOODED WARBLERS, NORTHERN PARULAS, TENNESSEE WARBLERS and AMERICAN REDSTARTS.

As the sun got a bit higher and more birders arrived more species made
apperances. A BLUE-WINGED WARBLER gave some good looks. 2 male CAPE MAY
WARBLERS fed overhead in the large Cedar tree as the group stopped for a
delicious lunch. 6 ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAKS passed through, a few at at a time.
A brightly colored male BALTIMORE ORIOLE hung around for a few minutes to give
some of the birders great looks. A  flock of 45 CEDAR WAXWNGS and 12 EASTERN
BLUEBIRDS put on a show for us as they came in to eat the ripe Poke Berries on
a rise just above the yard.

The most unusual moment of the day came when I shouted out that a RED-HEADED
WOODPECKER (an uncommon species in our area) was flying overhead. Moments later
another birder alerted us to a second RED-HEADED flying over. Within moments of
that a GREAT BLUE HERON flew by from east to west being chased by a CHIMNEY
SWIFT, if you can imagine that.

 A resident RED-SHOULDERED HAWK called from nearby, and A COOPER'S HAWK circled
up out of the valley then left the area.
MAGNOLIA WARBLERS and WORM-EATING WARBLERS were moving about, as were SCARLET
TANAGERS, RED-EYED, WHITE-EYED and a YELLOW-THROATED VIREO. A YELLOW-BILLED
CUCKOO made a brief appearance, and a SWAINSON'S THRUSH was observed near the
edge of the woods.

It was a birding day to remember with great birders, nice weather, good food
and lots of magnificent birds. The complete species list follows.

Enjoy the birds,

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA

59 Species