[Bristol-Birds] Natural Tunnel SP -- September 1 & 2

  • From: Bill Cawood <b_cawood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 06:30:28 -0700 (PDT)

Natural Tunnel State Park 9.1 & 9.2

9.1 Saturday:
-- While narrating a hayride through Rye Cove we saw: 7 Turkey Vultures sunning
in a meadow with their wings spread and necks arched (it actually frightened
some of the patrons on the hayride), a covey of 8-10 bobwhite quail flushed at
the border of NTSP just as we turned onto Rte 650, 3 Red-tailed Hawks perched
over fence rows and fields in Rye Cove.
-- Stock Creek Interpretive Center: 1 belted kingfisher, a gem of 8-12
goldfinches, 2 phoebes, 1 GBH, the family of 3 Red-tailed Hawks, 2 Ravens, 17
Bluejays (all in one tree)

9.2 Sunday:
-- Stock Creek Interpretive Center: 1 Belted Kingfisher, 1 GBH, 3 red-tailed
hawks
-- NTSP Amphitheater: 28 common nighthawks feeding over the 900 fans attending
the Papa Joe Smiddy Mountain Music Festival; special guest headliner Dr. Ralph
Stanley

Bill Cawood, interpreter Natural Tunnel State Park