[Bristol-Birds] Nashville Warbler/Northern Waterthrush. Etc. in Hampton

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, HerndonBirdClub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:02:51 -0400

 On Wednesday evening,I had a good evening of migrant-watching at home on
Simerly Creek Road in Hampton.

A newcomer for the fall was a female Baltimore Oriole. In addition, the wild
cherry tree attracted Gray Catbirds, Brown Thrashers, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
and a Scarlet Tanager.

Warblers included Ovenbird, Hooded Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, Yellow Warbler
and Magnolia Warbler.

Other birds spotted included Northern Flicker, Chimney Swift, Eastern Phoebe,
several Ruby-throated Hummingbirds (no adult males) and a good assortment of
feeder birds.

Thursday morning continued this run of good luck. As soon as I stepped out the
door to leave for work, an alarmed Northern Waterthrush popped into the upper
branches of a Mimosa. As the bird settled down, it gave good views as it
preened.

Song Sparrows were unusually abundant, with perhaps about half a dozen of them
foraging on a weedy bank dominated by Golden-Rod. This also produced a
Tennessee Warbler and, new for fall, a Nashville Warbler. I got a brief but
excellent look at the Nashville Warbler before a feisty Song Sparrow chased off
the warbler. The Nashville, by my count, is the 17th warbler for the yard for
fall migration.

A quick scan of the wild cherry trees by the creek produced two American
Redstarts. Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and Blue Jays.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, Carter Co., TN