[Bristol-Birds] NORTHERN HARRIER, Berryhill Rd., SW Washington Co.

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:13:51 -0500

I spent 2 hours (3:30 to 5:30 p.m.) this afternoon checking ponds in western
Washington Co. for water birds and anything else of interest.

"Highlights" included:
Bush Hog Pond                              Killdeer  (1)
Kyker Rd./Shanks Rd. Pond         Pied billed Grebe   (1)
Clark Rd. Pond                              Mallards                (6)
including the 4 on a small pond on O J Campbell Rd.
Westview Pond                             Great Blue Heron    (1)

The real highlight for me was a Northern Harrier on Berryhill Road (east side
just past the turn).  I saw this bird at 5:20 p.m. and in the fading light, I
could see that it had the rich brown plumage of an immature or female.

Roy Knispel
Johnson City, Washington Co. TN