[Bristol-Birds] NE Tennessee Birding by Daryl Owens, 28 Feb 2015

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bristol-birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 15:51:33 -0500

From: Daryl Owens

Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015

Subject: NE Tennessee Birding

Yesterday [28 February 2015] five birders including Tom Hunter, David
Raines, Don Carrier, Mike Sanders and myself spent a great day birding in
Northeast Tennessee.  It turned

out to be one of those magical days when all the planets align and the birds

just fall into your lap!

    First stop was Middlebrook Lake where we found Common Merganser, Mute
Swan

and hundreds of Ring-billed Gulls.

     Osceola Island proved to be one our best stops giving us great views of

Brown Creeper who put on a show for us just feet away.  Also found there
were

scores of Hermit Thrush, Golden-crowned Kinglet and White-throated, Field
and

Swamp sparrows.  The ducks made a good showing at Osceola as well with
Greater

Scaup, Ruddy Duck, American Wigeon and Redhead being found.  Later in the
day,

Mike returned to Osceola and found two American Pipits, one of which can be

seen in the fantastic photo below.

      Next was a stop along  the Holston river near Bluff City where we
found

two White-winged Scoters, life birds for both David and myself, and also
found

Canvasback, Hooded Merganser, Redhead and Wood Duck.

     We then met Don's son and daughter-in-law, Christian and Alexis, at a
very

good restaurant in Elizabethton called J's Corner for lunch.

      After filling up on great BBQ we headed for Wilbur Lake finding many

Buffleheads, Gadwall and the three White-winged Scoters pictured below that

Mike and I digiscoped.

     Next stop, Paddle Creek ponds where the top ponds were frozen and the

partially frozen bottom pond had the near 200 waterfowl concentrated in a
small

patch of open water.  In this group was found more Redhead, Canvasback,

Ring-necked, Scaup, Mallard and a lone American Black Duck.

     After dropping Don off at home around 5:00pm we headed back to Paddle

Creek to try to for the Barn Owl that is sometimes reported at a grain silo

there and this to no avail.

     Sensible people may have called it a day here, but we weren't ready to

throw in the towel just yet.  We'd read Rick Knight's report from Musick's

campground earlier and with visions of Long-tailed Ducks and Greater

white-fronted Geese dancing in our heads, headed that direction.  We didn't

find the Greater white-fronted but "scope master" Mike did find twelve
Oldsquaw

which added another tic to my life list.  Also we added Bald Eagle, Horned

Grebe, Common Loon, Red-breasted Merganser, Double-crested Cormorant and

Cooper's Hawk to round out our day's list.

     With a little daylight remaining we took the short drive to Washington
Co.

park not expecting much but, I think, just not wanting the day to end.  We

tried for Brown-headed Nuthatch in the pines at the boat ramp but couldn't

roust any with our electronic calls.

    Lastly, with the sunlight gone we transitioned from birding to astronomy

where Dave showed us Jupiter and three of it's moons in Mike's scope.  We
also

took the pic below of Earth's moon through the scope.

     Alas, nearing exhaustion, with our cabin fever thoroughly vanquished
and

71 species tucked under our belts, we headed home reliving our glorious day
and

planning our next adventure!

Daryl Owens,

Oakwood VA