[Bristol-Birds] N. Shoveler/Bald Eagle in Erwin, TN

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 18:45:52 -0500 (EST)

Today (Jan. 13) I birded in Erwin, TN, with my mom, Peggy Stevens.

Near the pond with the boardwalk along the linear trail at the industrial park,
we had a soaring adult Bald Eagle.

At the network of ponds near McDonald's in Erwin, we had a Killdeer, a
Green-winged Teal, Canada Geese and Mallards.

At Erwin Fishery Park (but not at the main pond, which is drained of most
water) we had a Northern Shoveler. The drake shoveler was in the lagoon at the
back of the park. Some of the concrete lagoon was filled in last year, but
there's still a fenced in area of water that feeds the stream that runs through
the restored wetland at the park. The shoveler was in that area with several
Mallards.

On the non-bird front, we also saw numerous turtles sunning themselves on logs
along these various ponds, and I saw a small brown bat flying over one of the
ponds along the linear trail near McDonalds.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN