[Bristol-Birds] Mute Swans reported over region

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:24:12 -0500

Glen Eller's report today (Jan 12) of a Mute Swan just below Boone Dam in
Sullivan County is one among several being seen by birders over the region
this winter.

David Hunt also had a Mute Swan, Mar 16, 2008, at the same location as
the one seen by Glen Eller.   Judy Roach had one Feb 28,  2007 near the
Warrior Path State Park marina on Ft. Patrick Henry Lake.   These
observations are possibly the same free-flying bird in that area.

Today (Jan 12), there were two Mute Swans at Middlebrook Lake in Bristol
Tennessee where our party had one on the Bristol Christmas Bird Count on
Sun. Dec. 28.

Bert Hale showed us a photo on that same day (Dec 28) of a Mute Swan he and
his wife Loraine had seen and photographed that day at Bluff City on Boone
Lake.
We've had a free-flying Mute Swan moving between Webb Bridge on the South
Fork Holston River and Paddle Creek Pond, this year --  both sites not far
upstream from Bluff City in Sullivan Co.

During the week before Christmas, a Mute Swan was seen flying into the mouth
of Big Dry Run Creek embayment of Watauga Lake just north of Buntontown Rd.
bridge.  It was carefully identified by Richard Walker of Bristol TN and C. W.
Frye
of Chilhowie, Va.  This may be the first Johnson Co. record for the species.

On Friday, Jan 9, Chris O'Bryan and I had one at a pond along Steele Creek
just off TN Rt. 126 in Sullivan Co., TN.  This is a location where the species
has
been found for several years.

Let's go birding . . . .