[Bristol-Birds] Musicks Campground and South Holston Dam

  • From: Mary Erwin <maryerwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 18:32:26 -0800

Judy Roach and Mary Erwin visited Musick's campground today, March 2, from
4:00 until 5:30 pm.  Sightings were

Ring-necked duck 4
Red-breasted merganser 1 drake
Horned grebe 2 males
Ringed-bill gull  hundreds

We went on to South Holston Dam about 6:00 pm. and scoped the lake.  What we
first thought was one dark duck bathing vigorously, upon watching for a while
through the scope turned out to be:

  One pair of White-winged scoters mating

Who knew that they would mate before reaching their breeding grounds in
Canada??  (Wallace, I'm sure you will say, yes, I knew that!!)

On the Musick's Campground sign-in sheet, Allan Boynton had reported seeing 1
white-winged scoter at Musick's  earlier in the day.  I feel lucky to have
found 2 at the Dam.

Near 6:30 in fading light we stopped along the river road upriver from the Weir
dam parking lot to listen and watch for American woodcock.  We were rewarded
with lots of peent calls, flight twitters and were able to see some in flight.
One bird flew across the road toward Osceola Island.  There were at least 4
woodcock present.

Mary Erwin
Kingsport