[Bristol-Birds] Moth Study Site at Winged Deer Park

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BUTTERFLY NET <mebc-butterfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BUTTERNUTS <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TN-Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BRISTOL BIRDS <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 16:48:02 +0000

We are very excited to be starting a Moth Study Site at Winged Deer Park in
Johnson City. It will be a part of Discover Life’s http://www.discoverlife.org/
long term project to study moth populations. http://www.discoverlife.org/moth/

Connie Deegan (City of Johnson City Naturalist) and I have the go ahead to get
this cranked up as soon as we can. The project is going to require involvement
from volunteers who would like to participate in citizen science. Our plans are
to conduct the study on Wednesday and Thursday nights, about an hour after
sunset, each week from March through October or November.

We will set up lights to attract insects and photograph all that we observe. We
will set up at the big white house. The photos will be submitted to the
Discover Life collection and be used as long term data.

There will be a Study Site Reception with very special guest John Pickering at
the site on Wednesday, March 26th at 7:00 pm. John is the creator of Discover
Life. Please contact me if you would like more information about this exciting
project.

Thanks,

Larry McDaniel

773-9234