[Bristol-Birds] More on Musick's Campground 11-7-15

  • From: Roy & Robin Knispel <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 18:28:31 -0500

I got to Musick's Campground about 3:15. Brookie and Jean Potter had been there for a couple of hours or more before that and Rack Cross came after I did. Rack and I left about 4:45. Below is a list of the birds and approximate numbers I saw. Most of these correspond with what Brookie and Jean and/or Rack saw, but numbers will differ somewhat.

Common Loon 57
Wigeon 5
Ruddy Duck 10
Lesser Scaup 3
Ring-necked Duck 17
D. C. Cormorant 176
Great Blue Heron 2
Coot 200
Horned Grebe 1
Pied-billed Grebe 7
Osprey 1
Bald Eagle 1 imm.
Killdeer 4
Dunlin 2
Franklin's Gull 1 (Brookie and Jean and Rack saw 2)
Bonaparte's Gull 15
Ring-billed Gull 9
Forster's Tern 1
Common Tern 2
Pileated Woodpecker 1

In addition, we saw 7 Mallards and 43 Canada Geese. Several shore birds flew over that I couldn't be sure on identification, but 4 were large enough to have been Yellowlegs. The others likely were Killdeer. It was difficult to get accurate counts--divers were diving continually and gulls, terns and ducks were flying around a lot--several boats chased flocks up--it wasn't clear which came back and landed and what came in that was new.

Roy Knispel
Johnson City

begin:vcard
fn:Roy Knispel