[Bristol-Birds] Re: Missing at feeder

  • From: Anita Huffman <housewren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 21:53:44 -0500

I have fewer Juncos, just an occasional House Finch and Gold Finch. I had a Field Sparrow last week which I never have in winter. I had one mourning dove on two separate days. Usually have several. Three titmice and chickadees at the most. I've had up to 10 cardinals, 5 of each sex.

The Juncos have learned to stand on the squirrel baffle and eat the peanut butter I smear on the post. Just this week, I had a Song Sparrow doing the same thing. That's the first time I'd seen that. After watching the Juncos hover and grab a beakfull I started putting it where they could reach it. They can't cling to the post like the titmice, chickadees, nuthatches and downies.

I haven't had Purple Finches or Pine Siskins this year.

Anita Huffman
Grayson Co., VA

On 01/24/2014 09:24 PM, eastin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I had been wondering about purple finches.  Last year I had 20-30 at a
time. This year I have none. And now that you mention Chickadees and
Titmouse, there are fewer of them. Still have them but fewer. Also
getting W-b Nut., Dark-eyed Juncos, abundant mourning doves and
goldfinches, Cardinal, Bluejay, Carolina Wren, House sparrow, and 3
woodpeckers (Downy, Hairy, and Red-bellied) The Hairy is new at my
feeder this season. Hope to get a sapsucker again.
Todd Eastin
Shady Valley

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=706&PHPSESSID=b2eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee. --------------------------------------------------