[Bristol-Birds] Migrants, Sept. 13-14, Hampton, TN

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, HerndonBirdClub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 20:10:59 EDT

At home in Hampton, Carter Co., TN, on Sept. 13, an accipiter, probably
Cooper's, interrupted the migration viewing. I had been curious about the lack
of
migrants, basically all I saw were a Tennessee Warbler, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
and Gray Catbird, when the hawk swooped in on a family of American Goldfinches.
It was so quick I don't know if the hawk succeeded or not. Right after dark,
also had two Eastern Screech-owls calling.

Today, Sept. 14, was different. No hawk, and many more birds. Eight species
of warblers included Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Black-throated Blue,
Black-throated Green, Pine, Black-and-white, American Redstart and Hooded.

Other birds included Red-breasted and White-breasted Nuthatches, Cedar
Waxwings, Gray Catbirds, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Ruby-throated Hummingbirds,
Eastern
Wood-Pewee and the usual residents/feeder birds.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN