[Bristol-Birds] Merlin in Buchanan County

  • From: "Ed Talbott" <etalbott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birders" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 19:11:55 -0500

Bristol Area Birders,

Michelle and I decided to attend the Church of the Passerine
this morning and birded Poplar Gap Park here in Buchanan
County.  Just as we were parking a small falcon wheeled out
over the edge of the field and was silhouetted against the
sky on the flat above us.  We didn't see it again until we
had finished our hike and went back up on the flat.  This
time it made a high speed pass in front of us and I tried to
get on it with the camcorder while Michelle followed it with
her binoculars.  I was unsuccessful as the camcorder could
not focus on such a small and fast target but Michelle
reported a small falcon with a slate-blue back and tail.
The bird didn't have a hint of rufous on its back and
therefore must have been a Merlin - this is a new bird for
both of us.  Sibley's didn't show the Merlin in this area
except during migration but I checked the CBC data and
Merlins show up over practically the entire U.S. during the
Christmas Bird Counts.  A very nice bird on a windy Sunday
morning.

Roger Mayhorn has some new pictures on our web site at
http://www.bcplnet.org/birdclub/birdclub.htm.

Merry Birding,

Ed and Michelle Talbott
Buchanan County Bird Club
http://www.bcplnet.org/birdclub/birdclub.htm

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958