[Bristol-Birds] Mendota Hawk Watch Report for September 19

  • From: "Harrington, R" <roneharrin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Bird Network" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Michael Hagy" <mlhagy322morning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ron Pendleton" <wesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Steven Hopp" <shopp@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:53:26 -0500

Hi folks:

Considering the date, we had a relatively slow day at the Mendota Fire Tower,
especially in the morning.  From 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., we counted only 100
Broad-winged hawks. However, the day was made with a count of 343 BWH from 4:00
p.m.-7:00 p.m.

Those helping me today included Jill Scott, Joan Harrington, Darrel Wilder,
David Raines, Dan Kendrick, Ed and Michelle Talbott. Joel Keebler, Highlands
Community College, brought several members of the VHCC Natural History Club.

Species                    9-19-08        YTD

Broad-winged hawk:     443          2985
Am. Bald Eagle:             1              11
Osprey:                         4              11
Sharp-shinned hawk:      --               7
Cooper's hawk:              --              5
Am. Kestrel:                  --              2
N. Harrier:                     --              2
Merlin:                          --              1

Catch the fever and help keep the tradition alive. For directions, go to the
Bristol Bird Club web site and click on "Birding Spots."

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA