[Bristol-Birds] Mendota Hawk Watch Report 9/22/06

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Leonids@xxxxxxxxxxx, mlhagy322morning@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, shopp@xxxxxxx, andrew101055@xxxxxxxxx, jcmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, wesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, driggs5007@xxxxxxxxxxx, dioptase@xxxxxxxxxxx, rwsandmss@xxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 22:12:40 EDT

Mendota Hawk Watch Report for 9/22/06

Hawk watching became a little more interesting today as we saw two adult Am.
Bald Eagles gliding down the range together. This was the first time anyone
could remember seeing two at the same time. The wind was out of the
southeast/south 10-15 mph most of the day. It was mostly cloudy with a few
moments of
sunshine here and there. We had a brief shower around 2:00 p.m. The rain didn't
seem to deter the hawks from their quest to move on to their winter
destination.
We manned the site from 9:00 a.m. until 4:15. The first Broad-wing came by at
9:25 a.m. and the last bird at 3:10 p.m. The best hour was 1:00 p.m. to 2:00
with 50 BWH. We saw a flight of 10 Double-crested Cormorants in the afternoon.
Observers were Bob Riggs, Roger and Linda Mayhorn, Tom Edwards, and Ron
Harrington.

                                              9/21/06                 YTD

Broad-winged Hawk:                 91                       3,372
Osprey:                                     2                            11
Cooper's Hawk:                          1                            13
Northern Harrier:                         0                             2
Sharp-shinned Hawk:                  1                            24
Am. Bald Eagle:                         2                             5
Am. Kestrel:                               0                            11

Peregrine Falcon:                       0                              3

Other:                                      YTD

  Red-headed WP:                      2
  Double-crested Cormorant:      12

The Mendota Hawk watch is sponsored by the Bristol Bird Club. The site is
located atop Clinch Mountain, three miles north of Mendota, VA. This is on the
Washington/Russell County line. Elevation: 3020 feet. Come join in the fun and
catch the fever! If you need directions let me know.

Ron Harrington
Compiler/Coordinator