[Bristol-Birds] Mendota Hawk Watch Final Report 2006

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, CBRISCOE@xxxxxxxxx, pcicchetti@xxxxxxxxxxx, vimarr1824@xxxxxxxxxxx, Leonids@xxxxxxxxxxx, mlhagy322morning@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, PHILHARR53@xxxxxxx, shopp@xxxxxxx, andrew101055@xxxxxxxxx, jcmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, wesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, driggs5007@xxxxxxxxxxx, dioptase@xxxxxxxxxxx, rwsandmss@xxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 20:59:27 EDT

MENDOTA HAWK REPORT 2006

This is the final Mendota Hawk Watch Report for 2006. Except for two days, we
had at least one person on site from September 9-September 26. Unfortunately,
the weather was too severe for coverage on September 13, 24-25. I was at the
site for twelve days, including the 13th after it cleared up.  I want to
recognize the following individuals for helping out for at least two or more
days:
Larry McDaniel, Bob Quillen, Tom Hunter, Bob Riggs, Ted Dingler, Dr. Malcolm
Jones, Rob Biller, and Ken Turner.

Others pitching in from time to time included Bill Grigsby, Ron Pendleton,
John and Carolyn Martin, Don Large, John Clonci, Phil Shelton, Amber
Groseclose,
Lindsay Hatenpach, Lindsay Abiovness, Nancy and Gary Barrigar, Betsy and Vic
Briscoe, Marion Finucane, Steve Hopp, Jean Montgomery, Marilyn Godby, Roger
and Linda Mayhorn, Tom Edwards; and Sue Carter and her Ecology Class from Twin
Springs High School. I apologize if I forgot someone.

Here is the final 2006 count and a six-year summary (2001-2006):

     Species                                 2006
Six-Year Average

Broad-winged Hawk:                3558                                 4630
Sharp-shinned Hawk:                   33
27
Coopers Hawk:                            22
 18.5
Osprey:                                      15
     19
Am. Bald Eagle:                           6
  6.2
Red-shouldered Hawk:                  0
2.2
Am. Kestrel:                               17
   13.2
Northern Harrier:                           2
     3.3
Merlin:                                         1
          .8
Peregrine Falcon:                         4
    3.2
Golden Eagle:                              0
      .3
Swallow-tailed Kite:                      0
     .2

Total Raptors:                            3658
     4725

The Mendota Hawk Watch, sponsored by the Bristol Bird Club, is located at the
old Mendota Fire Tower, which is on the Washington/Lebanon County line, three
miles North of Mendota, VA. The elevation is 3020. Plan now to visit and/or
make a commitment to help next year. We will probably begin September 8, 2007
and run as many days in September that we have coverage. The best time to catch
the Broad-winged Hawk migration is mid-September, especially after a cold
front has pushed through. The peak this year was 9/16-9/17 (with 2020 BWH
counted
in the two days). This will vary somewhat depending on weather and flying
conditions along the migration routes.

Ron Harrington
roneharrin@xxxxxxx
Compiler