[Bristol-Birds] Mendota Hawk Watch 2005

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: drcumbow@xxxxxxxxx, Marion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mlhagy322morning@xxxxxx, shopp@xxxxxxx, edandhelenmorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, wesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert.Riggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dioptase@xxxxxxxxx, rwsandmss@xxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:02:05 EDT

Hi Folks:

It's that time of year again. Bob Quillen and I will officially kick off the
Mendota Hawk Watch on September 9, weather permitting. We usually continue the
count until the end of the month. This count is a project of the Bristol Bird
Club.

In order to continue this tradition, volunteers with "eagle eyes" are needed
to help with the count. I will serve again as the compiler, but will need
others to help tally the daily count, especially on weekends when I will most
likely not be there (I need to spend a little time with the family). Of course,
extra observers are welcome at any time. The more folks watching the easier it
is to spot the birds, and maintain a good count.

If you are willing to be responsible for keeping the tally for a day and
reporting back to me, please let me know. Obviously, if the weather is bad, you
would not be expected to tough it out.

So let me know if you can help keep the tally, or if you just want to join us
at any time. Pack a good lunch, water, sun screen and glasses, your best
binoculars, appropriate clothing (it can be cold in the mornings, and very hot
during the day), a soft seat or lawn chair, your favorite bird guide, and come
join us for one of nature's grand displays!

To tweak your interest, I have attached the count totals for the last four
years. And if you need directions, let me know.

Thanks.

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA