[Bristol-Birds] Mendota Hawk Report for September 14, 2007

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, maryran@xxxxxxx, j4scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, driggs5007@xxxxxxxxxxx, wesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, andrew101055@xxxxxxxxx, mlhagy322morning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, drcumbow@xxxxxxxxx, williamcharles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 21:07:24 EDT

Mendota Hawk Report for September 15, 2007

After the cold front moved through this morning, it was a beautiful day at
the tower-clear, deep blue sky, unlimited visibility, and a steady wind out of
the Northwest varying from 10-20 mph in the morning to 5-15 mph in the
afternoon. I arrived at 11:00 a.m., joined by Stephanie McVay, a first-time
hawk
watcher from London, KY, and Ken Turner, Blountville, TN. Larry McDaniel and
Rob
Biller from Johnson City showed up at 12:45 p.m. Ronnie Vickers, Hiltons, VA
came by later for a couple of hours.

Despite ideal flying conditions and several experienced hawk watchers, we
couldn't find the number of Broad-winged hawks that we anticipated, but we did
enjoy the arrival of a Peregrine Falcon which circled around the tower a couple
of times just to "show off." Another Peregrine passed the tower around 6:15.
We counted 13 Monarch butterflies, and heard a Barred owl calling from
somewhere on the north side of the mountain. The high sky made it difficult to
see the
hawks. Most were flying very high beyond the naked eye.

Totals:

Broad-winged hawk: 37    YTD: 115
Osprey:                    1     YTD: 6
Am. Kestrel:             1     YTD: 3
Sharp-shinned hawk:  0    YTD: 1
Cooper's hawk:          5     YTD: 5
Peregrine Falcon:      2     YTD: 2

From a traditional timing perspective and the predicted weather, we should
have some good flights the next few days.

The Mendota Hawk Watch is held at the Mendota Fire Tower(Elevation 3020),
located on Clinch Mountain at the Washington/Russell County line, three miles
north of Mendota, VA. Come join the fun. No experience necessary. OJT provided.

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA

 See what's new at http://www.aol.com