[Bristol-Birds] Mendota Hawk Report 2004

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mlhagy322morning@xxxxxx, mtnjack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, wesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert.Riggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, shopp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leonids@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 20:28:07 EDT

Hi Hawk Watching Fans:
This is the final tabulation for the 2004 September Hawk Watch at the Mendota
Fire Tower, high atop Clinch Mountain (elevation 3018), located on the border
between Washington and Russell Counties in VA. The site is about 3 miles
Northeast of Mendota, Va. Take route 612, Pinnacle Road, to the top and follow
the
old tower road on foot.

The watch is conducted during the month of September and is a project of the
Bristol Bird Club. This year we counted 4,543 hawks, our best since
2001(6371). We also counted 25 Red-headed Woodpeckers and 2 Double-crested
Cormorants.
There was at least one person at the site for two or more hours for 18 days
during the month. Regular participants included Bob Quillen(in his 44th year at
this location), Violet Larkin, Harold Larkin, George Larkin, Larry McDaniel,
Bob Riggs, Ron Harrington, Marion Finucane, and Ron Pendleton. The big day this
year was September 19, with over 2200 hawks counted!

Broad-winged Hawk:          4463
Sharp-shinned Hawk:            19
Osprey:                               25
American Bald Eagle:            7
Red-shouldered Hawk:          4
Cooper's Hawk:                   14
American Kestrel:                8
Northern Harrier:                  2
Peregrine Falcon:                 1
Goshawk:                            1
 Total:                           4544

Thanks to all who participated. I am already looking forward to next year. If
you still have the itch, or just want to enjoy the beautiful October foliage
while watching for hawks, the next few weeks should be good for accipiters
(e.g., Sharp-shinned and Cooper's hawks), falcons (e.g., Peregrines), and maybe
even an occasional golden eagle.

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA
Compiler