[Bristol-Birds] Mendota Fire Tower (13 Sep 2015) 25 Raptors

  • From: reports@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 11:05:01 -0800

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 25 29 29

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Mike Sanders

Observers: Gary Cooper, George Larkin

Weather:
Cool morning and day in general, cloud cover dominated the scene for most
of the day. Very windy this morning tapering off this afternoon. Wind was
out if the North West.

Raptor Observations:
We had lots of local birds hanging out including Red-tailed Hawks,
Sharp-shinned Hawks

Non-raptor Observations:
We also had 3 Red Headed Woodpeckers fly by the tower. Huge numbers of what
appeared to be migrating Tree Swallows, we would look out over the valley
and see 40-60 birds slowly moving south. Some of them came over the tower
and we were able to identify them. I would say we had 200-300 per hour
flying by. Warblers were hard to come by except in the air, they were not
stopping to fuel up, we did not have a single feeder flock along the ridge.
Also a group of Double-crested Cormorants were seen migrating through.
Thanks to George Larkins and Gary Cooper for helping me today. We had some
good birds despite the low numbers.
Report submitted by John D Whinery (Fall.Branch.Tn.Bird@xxxxxxxxx)