[Bristol-Birds] Lurking Canadian birder with roots in SW VA and E TN

  • From: "katie angermeyer" <dolfit@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 20:25:13 -0700

Hi Bristol birders,

I've been subscribing to this list as a lurker for 3 years.  My name is
Katie Angermeyer, and I live in Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia, Canada.  My
husband is the birdman of the "Sunshine Coast".  Long story short... I am
originally a yankee from Wisconsin.  I did go to graduate school at MCV in
Richmond VA in the 70's and taught physical therapy students at University
of MD and at University of KY before moving to BC after meeting Tony
Greenfield whilst birding in the Everglades.

Reason I have been lurking on your Bristol Birds list is that I have been
planning a family reunion for June 2005.  My mother is a Lindsey, whose
Lindsey, Johnson, and Breckenridge ancestors go back to Johnson County TN,
Washington, Russell, Wythe, Smyth, and Bland/Giles Counties VA.  They were
there a long time ago, roughly between the Am. Revolution and the Civil War.

Being a birder and some of my cousins are birders, I have been gleaning
locations of where to go to see some birds while we are visiting.  I am
hoping to make some contacts for local information.  Will be in the area
from June 13 to June 22.

I have one burning question to throw out to you.  Has anyone hiked the
section of the Virginia Creeper Trail that is between Drowning Ford and
Roetown?  I believe that is where ancestral Lindsey land is located, south
bank of S. Holston at the confluence with the Laurel.  I wonder what is
there now.  On USGIS map looks to be railroad tracks.  We would like to do a
hike that would take us through that property, and I am hoping it is also
good spot for eastern warblers in full breeding plumage, which I haven't
seen in over 25 years.

Hope that someone would be able to look at my planned itineraries for day
trips into Lindsey habitat and let me know what good bird spots are along
the routes.  Can email you privately Streets and Trips maps.

And if anyone knows of any Johnsons of Russell County, we may be kin.

Katie