[Bristol-Birds] Lower Nolichucky/Rankin

  • From: "michael sledjeski" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:35:23 -0400

At its current elevation of 989 feet, the most extensive shorebird habitat on Douglas Lake lies above the mouth of the Nolichucky River. Yesterday I drove along Leepers Ferry Rd. near Leadvale to scope for birds on the Nolichucky mudflats. They're 200 yards or more from the road across private property, and mostly obscured by trees. I spotted a bird-rich area about 1 mile after turning north from the Leadvale Rd. After identifying what I could, I drove over to the Rankin coal chute to watch the waders fly in, around sunset, to roost 1/2 mile across the embayment.

Nolichucky birds:
Canada Goose (40)
Great blue heron (5)
Great egret (22)
Little blue heron
Killdeer (25)
Lesser Yellowlegs (5)
peeps(6)
Pectoral sandpiper (11)
plus some swallows, mallards, and wood ducks

Notable at Rankin Bottoms:
Double-crested cormorant (100+)
Great Blue Heron (13)
Great egret (156)
SNOWY EGRET
Little blue heron (13, all juveniles)
Green heron (11)
Black-crowned night-heron (9, 4 juveniles)
Black vulture (60+)
Caspian tern
Spotted sandpiper (2)
Eastern wood-peewee

Michael Sledjeski
Cocke county TN

************************************************* BRISTOL BIRDS NET LIST Bristol Birds Net Photo Gallery located at: http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jwcoffeyy/album?.dir=/efd5

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia