[Bristol-Birds] Loons and lots more!!

  • From: "Rack Cross" <frogfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 20:39:56 -0500

Bristol Birders

While Carol and I were afield today we checked off forty-one species and =
had a great time doing it. Our highlights included:

Carol finally got to tic by the COMMON LOON on her TN list as we =
observed four of them at Musick's Campground today. Also of note at the =
campground were a single GREATER YELLOWLEGS, one COOPER'S HAWK, six =
GREATER SCAUP, five RING-BILLED GULLS and six PIED-BILLED GREBES. An =
interesting wildlife sighting also occurred when a spike buck deer swam =
all the way across the lake toward us!

The wier dam was busy with teens of AMERICAN WIGEONS and BUFFLEHEADS. We =
also observed two female HOODED MERGANSERS in the mix. Atop the S. =
Holston Dam we saw HERRING GULLS, RING-BILLED GULLS and BONAPARTE'S =
GULLS in small numbers. The six or seven DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS were =
on the same island and the raft of probable C. Loons had moved well =
behind the island out of range for ID. The number was about twenty-five =
birds with a smaller group of sixteen nearby.

At Middlebrook lake the water surface was crowded with birds. One =
hundred twenty plus RING-NECKED DUCKS, twenty or so LESSER SCAUP, twelve =
HOODED MERGANSERS, hundreds of CANADA GEESE, MALLARDS, one Pied-billed =
Grebe, two D.C. Cormorants, two GREAT BLUE HERONS, one BELTED =
KINGFISHER, two KILLDEER, two GADWALL, two unidentified Grebes and one =
ROSS'S GOOSE!!

Carol got two lifers (Greater Scaup and Ross's Goose) and a state bird =
(C.Loon) and I got one lifer, the Ross's Goose. And we are both very =
happy to have birded today!

'Til we bird again

Rack Cross
Blountville, TN

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958