[Bristol-Birds] Looking forward to another episode real soon.

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:04:17 -0500

Area Birders:
I owe everyone an apology for my message about Ron Harrington's "Testostorone
Tour 2005."  Ron says it didn't happen.

He is worried about my mental health. This concerns me because he was on the
Tennessee governor's committee for mental health in Nashville.  When Ron
retired he was overseeing more than 1,200 mental health workers at 60 sites in
Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee while working with Frontier Health.
Ron also worked with the criminally insane at the state correction facility in
Marion.  He was once the director of the Bristol Regional Menthal Health
program.

I am not bragging on Ron.  I wouldn't do that.

But, when an experienced psychologist and prominent mental health worker thinks
you are losing it, you either need to go birding or get therapy.

"Your ability to conjure up details from the figments of your imagination
always amazes me. I don't recall any of what you described,"  psychologist Ron
wrote to me.  "All I remember is the drive to Lebanon for some down-home
Chinese food cooked by South Koreans and Mexican natives. Maybe those "special"
ingredients including "sang" stimulated your cerebral cortex and brought on
visual and auditory hallucinations. Thank goodness the effects are
temporary.......Looking forward to another episode real soon."

Well.  That is scary !

I called my local psychologist with the regional mental health and asked if
they could help me.

"Oh my goodness!  Ron is having another psychotic bout with denial,"  he said.
"Don't worrry, we'll call him in for therapy before you guys go birding again.
We're sorry this happened.  You know, Ron was not always around stable people."

After I hung up, I thought a minute.  Does that include me ?  Oh, man.  I am an
unstable birder ?

Birder shrink Don Holt set an appointment for me at the Bends of the Holston.

Following a few hours of field therapy, Don delcared me stable.  "You walk
fine.  You are steady on your feet.  You look through the correct end of your
binoculars," Holt said. "You are stable."

"So that means my cerebral cortex is ok and I am not experiencing visual and
auditory hallucinations ?"  I said with relief.

"Oh, I wouldn't go that far," he cautioned.  "Maybe you should talk with Ron
Harrington.  He would know.  Ron is an experienced psychologist.  That's your
best bet."

I think I just need to go birding and not worry about therapy.  I like stable
birding.  Don and I saw tow yesterday and both had several beautiful horses.
There were even a few cowbirds feeding just outside.

Let's go birding......