[Bristol-Birds] Re: Long-tailed Duck-Saltville, VA

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>, <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:28:20 -0500

Area Birders:

In regards to the two Long-tailed Ducks, we should be mindful that the birds
were found by Jason Blevins and Mark Robinett, who work for the Virginia
Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.

They discovered the two Long-tailed Ducks at Saltville, Va in Smyth County
on Wednesday, February 16, during the expected region season occurence
window for the species.  The ducks were later reported and observed by
others.

This is a good duck to find.  It occurs occasionally in winter in the region
with nearly 40 records of the Long-tailed Duck in the Upper Holston River
watershed. It is rare in Smyth County with two records for which I am aware.
Previous records for the county are for male birds seen at Hungry Mother
State Park Lake 18 Jan 1971 and 4 Apr 1984.  The Upper Holston drainage high
count is 13 at South Holston Lake 7 Jan 1968.

Roger Mayhorn's two posted photos made at Saltville are extremely nice.

Let's go birding....