[Bristol-Birds] Long-tailed Duck at Musick's Campground

  • From: Whoopinwiller@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 20:56:12 EST

15 DEC 02
Musick's Campground
Bristol, TN

This evening at dusk, 5:30 pm, Sammy Cross and myself identified an adult
female Long-tailed Duck swimming alone in the main lake channel. The duck was
first spotted in TN and swam eventually into Washington Co., VA.  The white
head and grayish back of the duck had me guessing it was a gull with a
binocular view. Once I zeroed the scope in it easy to see the black cheek and
duck like bill.
Wallace and Carolyn Coffey arrived shortly after we had lost visual contact
with the bird and with a clear sky and 3/4 moon our efforts were unsuccessful
in relocating the lady Long-tail.

Also observed today, 2pm, was the male Common Goldeneye on Middlebrook Lake,
Bristol, TN.

Both of these birds were lifers for Sam and I!

'Til we bird again

Rack Cross
Blountville, TN

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958