[Bristol-Birds] Long-tailed Duck, Red-necked Grebes at Boone Lake

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 17:30:19 -0500

Several birders joined me at TVA Boone Dam Overlook in Sullivan County to
check out the waterfowl. I arrived around 1:30 pm and quickly found a total
of 18 Red-necked Grebes. After a short time I also found a single male
Long-tailed Duck. I know, ho hum, just one...but that's all I could muster.
It was a beautiful male. We also saw 32 Red-breasted Mergansers, a few
Horned Grebes, and a couple of Pied-billed Grebes. I also saw one male
White-winged Scoter at Warriors Path State Park, first located by Glen
Eller this morning.  I'll attach a long-distance photo of the Long-tailed
Duck.

--
Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee