[Bristol-Birds] Long-eared Owl?, Burke's Garden (Tazwell Co, Va)

  • From: david kirschke <dkirschke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 08:46:17 -0800 (PST)

Mike Sanders, Roger Lemaster, and I stayed after the field trip to look for
owls.  After scanning for Short-eared Owls over the fields and playing a
recorded Long-eared Owl call at several hopefully looking stands of pines
without response, we were ready to head back home.  Then, just after dark, we
heard a series of 4-5 drawn out 'hoooos' separated by a second or so,
consistent with Long-eared Owl.  I then imitated a Long-eared Owl call and we
got 1 'hoooo' in response.  The sound came from across the fields so we made
our way by car in that direction.  After playing the call several more times we
got no response.

A few photos from the trip can be found at the link below.  Thanks to Rick
Knight for leading an excellent trip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkirschke/

David Kirschke
Johnson City, TN