[Bristol-Birds] Lesser Scaup, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 20:48:20 -0500 (EST)

March 4, 2010
Greene County: Greeneville and Tusculum

I located a Lesser Scaup female this evening at the pond along Glenfield Trail
in Greeneville. Oddly, no other waterfowl were there.

A little later, I observed an American Woodcock in display flight over a field
in Tusculum. I was lucky enough to get the whole concert--the "peent" ground
call, the wing whir during flight, and the "kissing" sounds during descent.
There's no better way to mark time in early spring.

Also present in Greeneville: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Purple Finch.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN