[Bristol-Birds] Lesser Black-backed Gull and thee Sandhill Cranes (Musick's Canoground)

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 22:15:27 -0500

Musick's Campground

South Holston Lake

Sullivan Co., TN

Darrel Wilder reported finding a Lesser Black-backed Gull at the campground
just after noon today (14 Jan 2014).

Shortly before 3:30 p.m., I arrived at the area and found Michele Sparks
there.

The Black-backed Gull was eventually located after searching among ~650
gulls which were mostly Ring-billeds and

three Herring Gulls.  The gulls all left at 4:30 p.m. and went in their
usual departure direction down the lake

to roost for the night. We saw and agreed with Wilder's identification of
what he called a first winter immature

--intermediate in size to adjacent Herring and Ring-billed Gulls.

The three Sandhill Cranes, which are again wintering in the area and feeding
on spillage from harvesting operations at

cornfields near the entrance to Observation Knob Park on Tn. Rt 44, flew in
from the northwest side of the campground

and landed at 5:40 p.m. on the TVA / TWRA access area just south of
Musick's.  During past winters two or three cranes

have been going to roost either in the small inlet behind the outerbanks of
the campground or in a similar area

across the Spring Creek Embayment just north of Musick's at Washington
County Park in Virginia.