[Bristol-Birds] Re: Least Flycatcher nest in Shady Valley

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>,"Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 19:14:38 -0400

The apparent Least Flycatcher's nest discovered (5/20) in a small grove of
young trees along Low Gap Branch in Shady Valley, Johnson County, TN had a
RED-EYED VIREO on the nest Wednesday (5/26).

The original nest identification was wrong.

Ron Harrington, Chris O'Bryan and I went to the site in mid-morning to check
and see if we could detect activity at the nest.  No female was seen during
the hour Bill Grigsby and I were present a week ago.   The literature states
that the nest is built by the female. There is still not a second bird
present.

The male Least Flycatcher continues to sing and fly about the small woodlot
and perches adjacent to the nest tree and sometimes in the vireo nest tree
several feet above the nest.  We did not see a vireo protest.  Only one
vireo was seen while we were present and that being the bird on the nest.

So we are back to square one and waiting to see if the advertising Least
Flycatcher will attract a mate or soon depart.

Let's go birding...