[Bristol-Birds] Least Flycatcher

  • From: "Larry McDaniel" <lmcdaniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 20:08:55 -0400

On 5/16/04 many observers enjoyed watching a Least
Flycatcher building a nest at Twin Springs Picnic Area on
Roan Mountain. That's close to 4,000 feet elevation.

The Peterson Field Guide to Birds' Nest states that the nest
is built by the female in about 6-8 days. Male defends
nesting territory.

I first heard the singing flycatcher this morning as I was
having to go inside to take a 2 hour class. When I got out
at 11 AM I got my binoculars and easily located the bird
where Rick described earlier at Horse Creek.

It was perched in a dead branch of a Sycamore tree. After
about 5 minutes of non-stop singing it flew into the leafy
part of the tree. I watched closley hoping to find a nest.
It moved to several diferent branches then flew a couple
hundred feet to another Sycamore. It moved a couple more
times then returned to it's original perch on the dead
branch. That took a total of about 15 minutes. It never
stopped singing. I saw no nest. I saw no other flycatcher.
Sadly I had to be somewhere else.

When I got home I found Ricks post.

Wallace, you did a great job of researching and posting.
It's phenominal how you can do that so quickly. We are very
lucky to have your skill and contributions.

Larry McDaniel
(423)773-9234