[Bristol-Birds] Large flock of Pectorals, etc. at Austin Springs

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:42:46 EST

On Saturday, March 26, David Thometz and Bryan Stevens birded in Johnson City
at Austin Springs at Boone Lake in Washington County.
Despite all-terrain vehicles and dirt bikes on the mudflats, we found a flock
of 17 Pectoral Sandpipers, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs and 6 Killdeer.

The Pectorals/Yellowlegs flushed several times because of all the traffic,
but always flew back.

In addition, we saw a single American Pipit, 3 American Wigeons (2 drakes, 1
hen) and a Blue-winged Teal (drake) as well as a pair of Mallards and numerous
Canada Geese.

We observed 2 Northern Rough-winged Swallows among the numerous Tree Swallows
perched on utility wires.

The only other sighting was of a Great Blue Heron.

Strangely enough, we failed to flush even a single Wilson's Snipe from the
very wet pasture at Austin Springs.

I have some so-so photographs of the flock of Pectoral Sandpipers that, if I
can manage it, I will upload and post a link.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN