[bristol-birds] Kirtland's Warbler

  • From: "Richard Peake" <rpeake1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 09:57:15 -0500

Dear Bristol Bird Club Network Birders,
   I did not realize that I was going to stir up so much controversy,
although I expected to stir up some interest.  I'll try to take up some of
the issues raised.
   1. I did not hear or see a Kirtland's Warbler this morning.  After an
hour of searching I did play a tape again, but as usual there was no
response.  I have never experienced a Kirtland's answering a tape, even its
own.  The first one I found was in conditions such as James Brooks has
described, right after a thunderstorm, and it was actively feeding and in
the open. Little did I realize then how lucky I was.  I call Wallace Coffey
and other area birders, some of whom came the next day.  We searched to no
avail.  The next day I tried again and managed to record the bird's song.
When I played the tape back, the bird shut up and I never found it again.
The taped call was submitted to the VSO records committee and became the
first accepted spring record of the species in Virginia. I have found the
species in the same general area in subsequent years (always identifying it
first by song) but have never had one respond to a taped call.
   2. I respect Marion Finucane's concerns.  I birded with her father and
consider his concerns about playing taped calls very seriously.  I vividly
remember the effect of unwise taping on Mt. Rogers.  Some birders who shall
remain nameless taped Yellow-bellied Flycatchers incessantly despite the
remonstrances of me and Phil Shelton. Apparently they drove the species off
the summit. We have had difficulty finding this species again, although we
have had some success recently.
Generally speaking, then, I don't approve of playing taped calls to nesting
birds.
   3. I believe that we in our area are right in the migration path of the
Kirtland's Warbler.
I found one in Athens, Georgia, one spring; and when I was at Clemson,
Gaston Gage, a very good birder, told me of seeing the species several times
in fall migration. I believe one was seen in the fall in Grundy this past
year (am I correct?).  Everyone in our area should be on the lookout for
this species during both spring and fall.
Dick Peake

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958