[bristol-birds] Re: Kirtland's Warbler

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 18:51:45 -0400

I had a sighting of a Kirtland's Warbler in Jonesborough on Oct. 1,
1989, and in the process of preparing an article for Birdwatcher's
Digest and attempting to get a provision recognition of the sighting by
the Tennessee Bird Records Committee I researched into all recorded
Kirtland Warbler's sightings during migration and up to that time there
were less than two dozen sightings outside of Michigan and the Bahamas.
In my case the sighting was right after a rain shower, the bird was
feeding hungrily, and before anyone else could get to the scene (we
didn't have Internet then) the bird was gone. This seemed to very much
be the pattern, and my conclusion was (and is) that the Kirtland's is
pretty much a straight-through migrant. It is bigger than most warblers
and has greater fat reserves for a long flight. When it does come down
it is usually due to weather, and the stop is no longer than required.
Dick Peake's sighting (hearing) of a Kirtland's during a period of
scattered thundershowers in the region fits the mold.
Point being that the discussion of using a recording to find a Kirland's
after the fact is moot. Unless the bird is injured or totally exhausted
for some reason, it will be gone by the time you find the tape and play it.
I think the real point is to once again stress that especially during
the first week in May and the first week in October Kirtland Warblers
are overflying this region, and being in the field right after a shower,
or even birding through the showers can have a wonderful reward.
James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN

Marion Finucane wrote:

>It's true that this isn't the breeding area for the Kirtland..however, I
>gotta stick to my guns as far as saying it would be preferable to not
>interfere with this bird's communications. I do appreciate this list which
>allows active birders like Dick Peake
>to inform more sedentary types like me about interesting species.
>I'm also happy to be able to express my father's opinion here. He was also a
>respected birder. He could identify ~ 200 birds (that I know of) by their
>songs and he learned this through field work - not with recordings - which
>adds up to a lot of field work...So, I wanted to share his thoughts with you
>on this subject-just something to think about...
>
>Respectfully yours, Marion Finucane

Your father is definitely one of the birding legends in these parts. I
wish I had known him.

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958