[Bristol-Birds] Re: Kirschke and Parker honred by BBC !

  • From: david kirschke <dkirschke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx, Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 09:26:53 -0800 (PST)

Thank you.  You are far to generous in your comments.  I feel honored to have
gotten to bird with and learn from such incredible birders.  I still feel
humbled daily at how much there is to learn and have been tempted to throw my
binoculars away when confronted with a large raft of ducks at long distance or
a mixed flock of warbles in the treetops.  We are truly sad to be moving away
from the Appalachians and such fine friends, but I hope to return as often as
possible.  Thanks again and peace in the new year.

Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:       Dr. David Kirschke of Johnson
City and Ellen  Parker of Piney Flats have been recognized
 by the Bristol Bird Club for their extensive involvement in birding and
related activities in
 the region for 2007.

 Kirschke was honored as the "Best New Birder of the  Year."

 Parker is awarded the "James & Mae Musick Service  Award" presented by BBC.

 It would be hard to find any more deserving individuals !

 Unfortunately, he is moving to Nashville in a couple of weeks so and
Nashville's birding
 gain will be our significant loss.  We hope he someday can  return.

 Kirschke had been in the background of natural history in the region for  a
while when,
 last December, he quickly was noted as an energetic birder.  He came  forward
 participate in Christmas Bird Counts and never went off the radar.   His posts
and other's
 accounts of his activities include nearly 80 significant posts to
Bristol-Birds Net during
 2007.  He is admired by experienced birders.  He birded  regularly over a wide
variety
 of habitats in no less than 10 east Tennessee counties and beyond. Among  them
were
 birding trips to Carter, Johnson, Sullivan, Washington, Unicoi,  Greene,
Hawkins,
 Jefferson, Cocke and Hamblen.  Who knows where else he birded that we  never
 new about ?  We do know he counted hawks at Rockfish Gap on the  Virginia Blue
Ridge
 and that he enjoyed birding on a trip to Colorado this past summer.
 A Common Moorhen at Rogersville, TN 17 May 2007 was one of his
 better birds.

 David did not suddenly bloom into a good birder in our region by just
 snatching up his binoculars.  He is an MD and Medical  Epidemiologist with the
 Northeast Tennessee Regional Health Office of the Tennessee Department  of
Health.
 He is well known across the state for his work with the  department's skilled
planning.
 He has served as investigator with the department's Epidemic Intelligence
Service.
 As an officer of EIS, he researched  human rabies death in Tennessee.  His
health
 department work has involved looking  at avian flu in the state.  If that were
not enough
 science credentials to help him jump  start birding here,  his other half is
Tonya Van Hook,
 a noted Monarch Butterfly  researcher.  She has been studying as an
Entomologist/Monarch
 Butterfly Conservation Biologist and  Research Assistant in Biology, Sweet
Briar College, VA.
 Tonya looked closely at the  reproductive biology of Monarch butterflies while
a student
 at the University of  Florida.  She has researched in Mexico.  Her studies of
the
 implications of conspicuous  coloration of large butterflies for conservation
is well
 recognized. She has extensive experience in Monarch  tagging and migration and
one
 of her north central Florida  tagged Monarch was recovered in Mexico.

 David Kirschke's experience in  field birding is the product of far more than
just all of  the
 amazing hustle we witnessed in  2007.

 A few miles north of downtown  Johnson City at Piney Flats in Sullivan County,
 Ellen
 Parker has been  enormously busy for the past year or more contributing to the
 natural
 history and concerns of Steele  Creek Park Nature Center and the park in
general.  She
 is the "James  & Mae Musick Service Award" recipient from the Bristol Bird
Club
 for 2007.  Ellen serves on  the Board of Directors of the Friends of Steele
Creek Nature
 Center and Park.  In  that capacity she is Secretary of the board and a member
of the  Executive
 Committee.  Among her many  passionate contributions to the park have been
beautiful  color
 posters for the park's  kiosks.  She bought a computer program, had a trainer
to teach her  how
 to use the software and has  produced state-of-the-art, giant, color posters
on park nature  subjects
 to go under the glass displays  of the kiosks.  She teamed with Richard Kretz,
an impressive  and
 talented photographer from near  Lebanon, Va., to produce a beautiful poster
of some of the
 permanent birds of the  park.  Meanwhile, she and her husband have found time
to support  the
 work of BBC teenage member,  Charlie Parker (their son), who has volunteered
nearly 1,000  hours
 as an junior naturalist at the  park's nature center.  She has served as a
member of the  Steele
 Creek Park Research Committee  with Dr. Tom Laughlin and Doug Ogle and other
leading area
 biologists.  Ellen has an  under-graduate degree in education from  UT
Knoxville and a master?s
 degree in special  education.  A former public school teacher, she has a
significant interest  in
 Appalachian flora and  fauna.   She is currently leading an effort to form the
region's first  butterfly
 club.  She has  gained widespread support for that concept from the Friends of
Steele Creek  Nature
 Center and Park.  She has  been in touch with the American Butterfly
Association and with  a
 chapter in Tennessee.   Meanwhile she has found time to provide initial
leadership to a  subcommittee
 of the "Friends Group" which is  looking into proposals and recommendations
for the proposed
 new addition to the Steele Creek  Park Nature Center.  She will lead a small
team that will  travel
 to other cities to get ideas and  advice.  Architects will begin work on the
project in a few  months.
 The Bristol Tennessee City  Council has budgeted for design services.  Ellen,
and her  husband
 Bob, are tireless supporters of  the Bristol Bird Club.  In 2004 they opened
their home to a  record
 gathering of 50 birders for the  BBC Annual Christmas Party.  Now, three years
later, they  have
 again hosted the BBC Christmas  party at their home just a week ago !  Ellen
has worked  closely
 with our President Dave Worley  to make this happen for the second time in
just three years  !
 The family then followed with  this note to Bristol Birds Net:  "Just wanted
to add our thanks
 to all who attended the Christmas Party at our house and all of you  who
helped us.
 We feel very blessed to be part of such a great group.  We have  great
memories of not
 only BBC Christmas parties but of many birding outings and  trips.  Hope
everyone has
 a joyous and safe holiday season."

 Among those outings was  the August 2005 day of fun and birding at the
Parker's
 gorgeous and cozy lake  house at Cove Ridge on Watauga Lake.  Few of you  will
 ever forget the  beautiful view, boating trips and excitement and great food
that  summer
 afternoon.

 Ellen Parker not only  is worthy of the "James & Mae Musick Service  Award"
 but she  deserves every thank you BBC members can pass  along.

 Two fine birders.   Great people.  Wonderful contributors to the BBC  and
 regional birding  !  Our winners in 2007 !