[Bristol-Birds] Kirschke and Parker honred by BBC !

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 21:50:17 -0500

Dr. David Kirschke of Johnson City and Ellen Parker of Piney Flats have been
recognized
by the Bristol Bird Club for their extensive involvement in birding and related
activities in
the region for 2007.

Kirschke was honored as the "Best New Birder of the Year."

Parker is awarded the "James & Mae Musick Service Award" presented by BBC.

It would be hard to find any more deserving individuals !

Unfortunately, he is moving to Nashville in a couple of weeks so and
Nashville's birding
gain will be our significant loss.  We hope he someday can return.

Kirschke had been in the background of natural history in the region for a
while when,
last December, he quickly was noted as an energetic birder.  He came forward to
participate in Christmas Bird Counts and never went off the radar.  His posts
and other's
accounts of his activities include nearly 80 significant posts to Bristol-Birds
Net during
2007.  He is admired by experienced birders.  He birded regularly over a wide
variety
of habitats in no less than 10 east Tennessee counties and beyond. Among them
were
birding trips to Carter, Johnson, Sullivan, Washington, Unicoi, Greene, Hawkins,
Jefferson, Cocke and Hamblen.  Who knows where else he birded that we never
new about ?  We do know he counted hawks at Rockfish Gap on the Virginia Blue
Ridge
and that he enjoyed birding on a trip to Colorado this past summer.
A Common Moorhen at Rogersville, TN 17 May 2007 was one of his
better birds.

David did not suddenly bloom into a good birder in our region by just
snatching up his binoculars.  He is an MD and Medical Epidemiologist with the
Northeast Tennessee Regional Health Office of the Tennessee Department of
Health.
He is well known across the state for his work with the department's skilled
planning.
He has served as investigator with the department's Epidemic Intelligence
Service.
As an officer of EIS, he researched human rabies death in Tennessee.  His health
department work has involved looking at avian flu in the state.  If that were
not enough
science credentials to help him jump start birding here,  his other half is
Tonya Van Hook,
a noted Monarch Butterfly researcher.  She has been studying as an
Entomologist/Monarch
Butterfly Conservation Biologist and Research Assistant in Biology, Sweet Briar
College, VA.
Tonya looked closely at the reproductive biology of Monarch butterflies while a
student
at the University of Florida.  She has researched in Mexico.  Her studies of the
implications of conspicuous coloration of large butterflies for conservation is
well
recognized. She has extensive experience in Monarch tagging and migration and
one
of her north central Florida tagged Monarch was recovered in Mexico.

David Kirschke's experience in field birding is the product of far more than
just all of the
amazing hustle we witnessed in 2007.

A few miles north of downtown Johnson City at Piney Flats in Sullivan County,
Ellen
Parker has been enormously busy for the past year or more contributing to the
natural
history and concerns of Steele Creek Park Nature Center and the park in
general.  She
is the "James & Mae Musick Service Award" recipient from the Bristol Bird Club
for 2007.  Ellen serves on the Board of Directors of the Friends of Steele
Creek Nature
Center and Park.  In that capacity she is Secretary of the board and a member
of the Executive
Committee.  Among her many passionate contributions to the park have been
beautiful color
posters for the park's kiosks.  She bought a computer program, had a trainer to
teach her how
to use the software and has produced state-of-the-art, giant, color posters on
park nature subjects
to go under the glass displays of the kiosks.  She teamed with Richard Kretz,
an impressive and
talented photographer from near Lebanon, Va., to produce a beautiful poster of
some of the
permanent birds of the park.  Meanwhile, she and her husband have found time to
support the
work of BBC teenage member, Charlie Parker (their son), who has volunteered
nearly 1,000 hours
as an junior naturalist at the park's nature center.  She has served as a
member of the Steele
Creek Park Research Committee with Dr. Tom Laughlin and Doug Ogle and other
leading area
biologists.  Ellen has an under-graduate degree in education from  UT Knoxville
and a master's
degree in special education.  A former public school teacher, she has a
significant interest in
Appalachian flora and fauna.   She is currently leading an effort to form the
region's first butterfly
club.  She has gained widespread support for that concept from the Friends of
Steele Creek Nature
Center and Park.  She has been in touch with the American Butterfly Association
and with a
chapter in Tennessee.  Meanwhile she has found time to provide initial
leadership to a subcommittee
of the "Friends Group" which is looking into proposals and recommendations for
the proposed
new addition to the Steele Creek Park Nature Center.  She will lead a small
team that will travel
to other cities to get ideas and advice.  Architects will begin work on the
project in a few months.
The Bristol Tennessee City Council has budgeted for design services.  Ellen,
and her husband
Bob, are tireless supporters of the Bristol Bird Club.  In 2004 they opened
their home to a record
gathering of 50 birders for the BBC Annual Christmas Party.  Now, three years
later, they have
again hosted the BBC Christmas party at their home just a week ago !  Ellen has
worked closely
with our President Dave Worley to make this happen for the second time in just
three years !
The family then followed with this note to Bristol Birds Net:  "Just wanted to
add our thanks
to all who attended the Christmas Party at our house and all of you who helped
us.
We feel very blessed to be part of such a great group.  We have great memories
of not
only BBC Christmas parties but of many birding outings and trips.  Hope
everyone has
a joyous and safe holiday season."

Among those outings was the August 2005 day of fun and birding at the Parker's
gorgeous and cozy lake house at Cove Ridge on Watauga Lake.  Few of you will
ever forget the beautiful view, boating trips and excitement and great food
that summer
afternoon.

Ellen Parker not only is worthy of the "James & Mae Musick Service Award"
but she deserves every thank you BBC members can pass along.

Two fine birders.  Great people.  Wonderful contributors to the BBC and
regional birding !  Our winners in 2007 !