[Bristol-Birds] Kingsport CBC (TNKI) Compilation

  • From: Bill Grigsby <wgrigs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds List <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:03:00 -0500

Audubon Christmas Bird Count, Kingsport, TN (TNKI)
Dec. 26, 2007

Thanks to all those who participated in the restart of the Kingsport Christmas count. The count circle was the same as done since the 1940's, but the count identifier was changed to TNKI. A total of 82 species and 5275 total birds were counted by 22 participants in 6 areas with one feeder counter.

The summary by area:
North Kingsport area is primarily above US 11W. The leader was Rick Phillips, assisted by Tom Laughlin. They observed 400 birds representing 45 species. Of note were 2 Merlins seen in Oak Hill Cemetery. The merlins have been present in this area for several years and were observed on CBC's 20 years ago.

Bays Mountain area included Bays Mountain, Meadowview, and Sullivan Gardens was done by John Moyle. John observed 425 birds in 45 species.

Central Kingsport area is between 11W and I-81 between I-26 and Fort Henry Drive. This area was done by Bill Grigsby (leader), Ron Harrington, David Taylor, Faye Metzl, Sybil Williams who counted 1033 birds in 48 species.

East Kingsport area is east of John B. Dennis and Fort Henry Drive between 11 W and I-81. This team in this area was lead by Wallace Cofey who teamed with Dr. Andrew Jones of Cleveland, OH, Charlie Parker, Chris O'Brien, Michelle Sparks. The team observed 884 birds in 45 species.

Boone Dam area is the southeast portion of the circle. The count team was lead by Rick Knight with Larry McDaniel and Jacki Hinshaw. They observed 1096 birds in a count high of 59 species.

The surpise of the count was the Southwest Kingsport Area. This is the area west of I-26 and south of TN 93. We didn't expect to have much in the area and almost rolled it into another area, but the team lead by Tom McNeill assisted by Don Holt surprised us. The team included Rob Biller, Diane Draper, and Mary Anna Wheat counted a high of 1395 birds in 51 species. Great Effort!

Don Jones, AKA Wayne Jones, was a feeder watcher and observed 12 species in his yard.

This was a very successful count. Since it had not been done in a while, we did not have experience in many of the areas. I appreciate the help of all those who participated. We have already started discussing how we can improve it next year. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Species List:
Canada Goose    403
Gadwall         73
Mallard         350