[Bristol-Birds] Keep an eye out for Hanna birds -- we never know !

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 18:24:30 -0400

BIRDER WEATHER WARRIORS

Hurricane Hanna is now on the doorstep of costal Carolina, expected to
make landfall in the general region of the South Carolina - North Carolina
border.

Even from minor tropical depression storms,  winds
can often extend for many hundreds of miles inland.

Our region here in Northeast Tennessee and Southwest
Virginia has a somewhat remote possibility that a
storm-driven rare species may come down at one or
more of our top water birding area. The odds may be low.

It seems now that the best hours may be from Saturday
morning into the afternoon  as Hanna moves north along
the Atlantic cost.

We aren't going to get the same wind strength or upslope enchantment
with tropical rains coming in at a right angle from the Atlantic to hit our
mountains as we experienced 7 Sep 2004 when Frances' remnants
passed through and brought us rare and exciting discoveries.

Tonight: Scattered
showers. Mostly cloudy,
with a low around 61.
Southeast wind around
5 mph becoming north.
Chance of precipitation
is 30%.

Saturday: Isolated showers
and thunderstorms. Mostly
cloudy, with a high near 86.
North wind between 5 and
10 mph. Chance of precipitation
is 20%.

We need to keep our eyes
open, watch the weather and
watch for birds.

It might be a good warm-up to
train your mind to thinking storm birds before Hurricane Ike comes trucking
along
bring great birds within the next week.

Let's go birding.....

JPEG image