[Bristol-Birds] Keebler raptor update

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:05:43 EST

THU 16 DEC 2004
Washington Co., TN
D. Holt

     Around noon today I saw a white bird amongst a loose kettle of mixed
birds over the Keebler Rd. area, approximately.  I was over a mile away, to the
south I think.  I set up a 20X scope, and was able to see that it was a buteo.
It reached the top of the kettle and glided southwest, then dived steeply and
landed in a tree near Snapps Bridge, maybe a half mile away from me.  I got a
60X scope on it and saw that it was sitting a couple of feet away from a
normal plumaged Red-tailed Hawk.  They sat together without incident for
several
minutes, then the white one flew a little upriver, seeming to land in a densely
branched tree where I could not see it.  I drove down to Snapps Bridge and
walked around looking for it along the river, but without luck.
     The bird's plumage, as far as I could tell, seemed to be totally pure,
bright white from all angles, though distance would have obscured any subtle
marks or colorings.  I could not determine eye, beak or leg color.  Don Miller
tells me there has been a mostly white Red-tailed Hawk with a normal red tail
known in the Snapps Bridge area for a few years now.  I think this was a
different individual.
     After leaving Snapps Bridge, I went to Keebler Rd. and found a Peregrine
Falcon again, this time on the east side of Keebler Rd., in a lone tree on
the skyline.  I watched for a quarter-hour or so before it flew down and
disappeared behind the knoll.  While there, I also saw an adult male Northern
Harrier
harrass a passing Red-tailed Hawk.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN