[Bristol-Birds] June Birds on Glen Alpine Rd

  • From: jpmoyle18@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 22:26:18 -0400

I realized that I had not been sending in many reprts over the past 6 months so
I decided to give all BBCers a taste of our yard birds, even though I have done
little real birding there most of the year!  In June I was only in TN for 23
days, so here is the scoop on the most interesting visitors/residents!  Indigo
Bunting (18 sightings, 3 pairs, days 1-30), Pileated Woodpecker (14 sightiings,
1 pair, days 1-30), Wild Turkey (20 sightings, 4 males/4 females not paired,
days 1-30), Belted Kingfisher (2 sightings, 1 male, days 1 and 21), Chimney
Swift (13 sightings, max number 3, days 1-30), Great Blue Heron (3 sightings, 1
bird, days 1,4 and 10 ), Killdeer (3 sightings, 1 bird, days 1,2,30),
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (8 sightings, one bird, days 1 - 30), Red-tailed Hawk (3
sightings, 1 bird, days 2,4 and 6), Eastern Phoebe (8 sightings, one bird, days
2-29), Chipping Sparrow (17 sightings, up to five birds including young, days
1-29), Whip-poor-will (13 callings, probably one bird, days 2-29),
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (18 sightings, 2 females and one male, days 2-30),
Great Crested Flycatcher (8 sightings, one calling individual, days 3 - 29),
Cedar Waxwing (4 sightings, one pair 3 times and one quartet, days 3-30), Barn
Swallow (14 sightings, max # = 40+, min # 3, days 1-30), Red-eyed Vireo (3
sightings, one male, days 3-10), Eastern Wood Pewee (6 sightings, one bird,
days 6 -13), Chuck-wills-widow (3 sightings, one calling individual, days 8,
10, 25), Wood Thrush (6 sightings, one individual, days 8-30), Tree Swallow (6
sightings, one pair, days 8-25), Prairie Warbler (1 sighting, one individual,
June 13), Coopers Hawk (3 sightings, one female/2 males, days 13, 21,27),
Yellow-throated Vireo (one sighting, one bird, June 22), Hermit Thrush (5
sightings, one male, days 22-30), Scarlet Tanager (3 sightings, one male/one
female, day 27 female and days 29/30 male), Bobwhite (one sighting, one calling
 on 6/27), Brown Thrasher (one sighting, one individual, June 28), Common Raven
(one sighting toward Bays Mountain, one individual calling, June 30).  I also
had a male Common Yellowthroat in our marsh on July 2.  Other interesting
June/early July sightings include Bobcat (6/1), two fawns July 2 and 9 Gray
squirrels July 2 (new high at our feeder area).

John Moyle                         Glen Alpine Road
Kingsport/Sullivan County