[Bristol-Birds] John Sevier lake waterfowl & others

  • From: Susan Hubley <shubley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 19:03:11 -0500

11/4/12
Spent several hours this morning on the dock and in the yard - A few goodies!
Had a river otter in the yard rolling in the grass and watched a Cooper's Hawk
grab a dove under the feeders. The hawk pinned the dove on the ground and stood
on it until it expired. Hawk headed into the brush to eat its' prey.
Our eagle pair are enjoying coots for their evening meal, and there are over
300 for them to choose from here on the lake.

Sightings today (highlights only):
Wood Duck - 2
Gadwall - 12
Northern Shoveler - 4
Green-winged Teal - 2
Ring-necked Duck - 28
Ruddy Duck - 4
Pied-billed Grebe - 18
Bald Eagle - 2
Cooper's Hawk
Merlin
American Coot - 300+
Bonaparte's Gull - FOS
Great Horned Owl - pair calling early a.m.
Eastern Screech Owl - in kestrel box
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, juvenile FOS
Brown Creeper - only my second sighting here
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 2 FOS
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 2
American Pipit - 4

Susan Hubley