[Bristol-Birds] John Sevier Lake/Hawkins County

  • From: "Susan Hubley" <shubley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:48:01 -0400

3/21/08 highlights:

Great Blue Heron - 12 in heronry
Double-crested Cormorant - 12-15 roosting under heronry
Gadwall - 12
Osprey - first sighting since 12/23/07
Bald Eagle - 1 adult
Northern Harrier -1
American Coot -3
Tree Swallow - 100+
Eastern Bluebird - 4 (have begun checking out nesting boxes)
Brown Thrasher -1
Eastern Towhee - 6
White-throated Sparrow - 10+
White-crowned Sparrow - 1
Swamp Sparrow -1

I watched the Osprey catch his dinner and out of nowhere came an adult Bald
Eagle - the Bald Eagle chased down the Osprey and took his fish. An awesome
moment!

Noticeably missing here are Wood Ducks - we had up to 4 pairs on a regular
basis during March of 2006 and 2007.

Took a ride over to Horton Ford Road, Hancock County, to check on Bald Eagle
nest. Adult sitting on nest with mate nearby. Based on 34-36 day incubation
period, I'm hoping for hatching to occur sometime early next week.

Susan Hubley
Rogersville, Hawkins County