[Bristol-Birds] Re: John Sevier Lake goodies tonight-Phalarope, Moorhen

  • From: Andy Jones <ajones@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 11:03:46 -0400

Hi folks:

This bird looks like a Red Phalarope to me.

Pale gray back, and thick, stubby bill point towards Red rather than Red-necked. Red-necked Phalarope should have a thinner bill than this.

I would love to see a side view of the bill for final confirmation - I do not know how thick the base of a Red-necked Phalarope would be as seen from above - is it thick and wide like a flycatcher, or is it truly needle-like when seen both from above and from the side? Anyone have more experience with these two species that can comment?

Red Phalarope is VERY unusual for northeast TN. One definite and one probable record are listed in Knight's Birds of Northeast Tennessee (which does not include Hawkins County).

Andy

On 9/30/2010 7:17 PM, Susan Hubley wrote:
9/30/10
The Common Moorhen continues here at the lake. Came home from school and
Mike tells me there's a bird on the lake that looks kind of like a
Bonaparte's Gull, but sure was displaying some erratic behavior - and
here's the birds! Red-necked Phalarope?
Susan Hubley
Rogersville, Hawkins County

--
Andy Jones, Ph.D.
William A. and Nancy R. Klamm Endowed Chair of Ornithology

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=706&PHPSESSID=b2eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

http://bristolbirdclub.org

Nature Calendar for NE TN / SW VA:
http://www.google.com:80/calendar/embed?src=eHlvbjQyQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ