[Bristol-Birds] John Sevier Lake, Rogersville

  • From: "Susan Hubley" <shubley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:14:20 -0500

Greetings from Rogersville!
We have moved into a new home along the lake, and I feel like a kid in a candy
store! Today's highlights include:
Canada Geese
4 Buffleheads
1 Lesser Scaup
pair Wood Ducks
8 nests in Great Blue Heronry
(There is also another heronry right below the Steam Plant)
30+ Double Crested Cormorants which roost below the Great Blue Herons
Pied-billed Grebe
Many, many Tree Swallows
Red-winged Blackbirds
Brown Thrasher
30-50 American Coots
pair Brown-headed Cowbirds
Here's my question - A pair of wood ducks arrives every morning and spends time
in the lake around the Wood Duck box - however, the starlings arrive at the
same time every morning. The starlings have thrown out the wood chips and have
attempted to build their own nests(which I have removed). I continue to check
the box every few days to remove the starling nesting material and replace the
wood chips. The female Wood Duck has perched on a branch under the box and has
sat on top of the box for a few minutes and flies back down to the water.
This has been going on for about 3 weeks - Any suggestions would be
appreciated. You may email me direct.
Thanks!

Susan Hubley
Rogersville, TN