[Bristol-Birds] Ish Creek Waterfowl, Blount County

  • From: shaawitya@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 04:22:46 +0000 (UTC)

Hi folks,

At the recommendation of Steve and Gail Clendenen, I checked out Ish Creek in
Blount County late this afternoon. There was nothing noteworthy at the Ish
Creek boat ramp so I moved on toward the mouth of Ish Creek about where Scenic
Point Drive comes along side of Ish Creek - at the entrance to a big
subdivision. The waterfowl birding was AMAZING! The list is below, but I'm sure
I missed something and I think I probably underestimated the numbers. I was
there 45 minutes, had to leave, and not sure I got to see everything there, but
maybe I did. Try to get out there soon!!

Ish Creek and Scenic Point Drive, Blount, US-TN
Feb 28, 2015 3:45 PM - 4:30 PM
Protocol: Stationary
17 species

Mallard 7
Canvasback 16 (probably low)
Redhead 175 Large concentration of these ducks in the embayment (probably low)
Ring-necked Duck 32
Greater Scaup 25 Seen next to Lesser Scaup for comparison; large head, large
bill, large nail on bill, rounded head, extreme white sided, slightly larger
than adjacent L.Scaup
Lesser Scaup 25
White-winged Scoter 1 Large, dark scoter, white-wings showing, male, showing
white eye mark trailing behind eye, orangish or reddish tip to bill
Bufflehead 6
Common Goldeneye 22 Large group of these ducks diving in an amongst the other
waterfowl; distinct white cheek patch behind bill, green head, golden eye,
white sides on males; brown head, golden eye, yellow-tipped bill on females
Hooded Merganser 26
Common Merganser 3 All males, white-sided, white-necked, green head, large
reddish bill; no reddish on breast or patterned side; too far away for photo,
but good views in scope
Pied-billed Grebe 31 Large group of Pied-billed Grebes at close range seen from
Scenic Drive
Double-crested Cormorant 1
Great Blue Heron 3
Bonaparte's Gull 65