[Bristol-Birds] Iron Mtn Breeding Bird Survey near Mount Rogers

  • From: Richard Lewis <mountainbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 19:00:23 -0400

On Wednesday (6/10) I ran the Iron Mtn Breeding Bird Survey near Mount
Rogers in Virginia. The route starts near Whitetop Mtn, goes thru Elk
Garden, and then ends on Hurricane Mtn. This was my 19 consecutive
year doing the route. My son Phillip Lewis records the data for me. We
had 55 species this year which is about average. The highlight this year
was 9 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers. This ties the previous high recorded
in 2010. Noteworthy records for this year are:

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 9 (ties previous high in 2010)
Least Flycatcher 1
Red-eyed Vireo 83 (highest since 2008)
Verry 30
Common Raven 5
Wood Thrush 4 (new low count)
Yellow-rump Warbler 1 (6th year recorded)
Black-throated Warbler 17
Black-throated Green Warbler 5
Canada Warbler 10 (most ever)
Worm-eating Warbler 3 (most ever)