[Bristol-Birds] Incidental birding--Harriers and a Bald Eagle

  • From: Ronald Harrington <roneharrin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Bird Network <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steven Hopp <shopp@xxxxxxx>, Mike Hagy <mlhagy322morning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Randy & Mary Sue Smith <maryran@xxxxxxx>, Marty/Jo Ann Huber/Detta <jomart2u@xxxxxxxxx>, Michael Sanders <hawk036@xxxxxxx>, Sam Evans <samevansathome@xxxxxxxxx>, "vicky_frye@xxxxxxxxxxx" <vicky_frye@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "petergmorgan@xxxxxxxxx" <petergmorgan@xxxxxxxxx>, Judith Wiley <wyliejc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, John Brenner <johnbrenner@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Shearer <shearer44@xxxxxxxxx>, Betty Edmondson <betty.edmondson7@xxxxxxxxx>, Rob Morgan <morganforestry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ramsey White <vagrace@xxxxxxxxx>, Jill Scott <jillhscott2@xxxxxxxxx>, Dennis Sanders <dblcenv@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Margaret Short <margaret.short@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ed Morgan <morganofwolfhills@xxxxxxxxx>, "Charlotte L. Parsons" <charlotte@xxxxxxxx>, Lisa Jett <ljett@xxxxxxxx>, Adrianna Nelson <adriannan1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Judy Moose <judymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Denise Hall <denisehall1118@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Evelyn Denham <evelyn.denham@xxxxxxxxx>, Catherine Denham <cathydenham99@xxxxxxxxx>, Daniel Hess <daniel.ahess2680@xxxxxxxxx>, Gary Cooper <tikiowl@xxxxxxxxx>, Jane Thornhill <jthill1949@xxxxxxxxx>, Monica Hoel <mhoel1985@xxxxxxxxx>, Diane Harris <dmacharris214@xxxxxxxxx>, Birding Kingsport <birdingkingsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Elizabethton Bird Club <elizabethtonbirdclub@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 10:47:11 -0400

While watching the Southwest District Cross  Country Championship yesterday at Sugar Hollow Park (Bristol, VA),  Joan and I observed two Northern Harriers flying across the field. Beautiful!

And last weekend, while trout fishing at Beartree Lake (Mount Rogers National Recreational Area), our grandsons and I watched an adult American Bald Eagle circling over the lake. For a while, it was our only competition. Unfortunately we didn't see it catch anything. However, we did!!

And speaking of Bald Eagles, I just received the following from Cornell Lab of Ornithology:

   Lower 48 Has 4 Times as Many Bald Eagles as a Decade Ago

In March, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced the latest population estimate for Bald Eagles, and the news was heartening. Some 316,000 eagles now cruise the skies in the Lower 48—more than four times the previous estimate, from 2009. See how the most accurate eagle count in history <https://cornell.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b35ddb671faf4a16c0ce32406&id=a6250b4216&e=8afb1332bc> was partly powered by 180,000 eBirders plus sophisticated eBird Science models.

Ron Harrington

Bristol, VA