[Bristol-Birds] Hooded Merganser population at Middlebrook wandering.

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bristol-birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 18:22:18 -0500

While birding in the area the past few days,  it became apparent that

something had moved the Hooded Merganser raft that was staying at

Middlebrook Lake in east Bristol Tennessee.   About six or eight birders

who have been checking birds there were reporting mostly between

100 to 200 birds. In mid November 330+ were found.

They were gone by Tuesday and Wednesday and I spent a couple

of hours and many miles looking for them on area ponds and lakes.

The Nicely Brich lake had 5  birds.  Clear Creek Lake in Bristol Virginia,

where they usually go when not at Middlebrook was void of Hoodeds.

A handful was at Nicewonder Pond at Exit 10 of I-81 along with

83 Ring-necked Ducks and two Mute Swans.

This afternoon 50 had shown up at Middlbrook Lake.  We don't know

If the larger group left and the present 50 are new arrivals.

Since it Is nearly two months until they head back on their northern

migration,  it begs one to think about what is happening with that

population.  The only sizeable pond we know about in the

area that could not be checked is the big one in the back of Tara Hills

across from the county club.  It has not been available for us to

regularly monitor for nearly 15 years since the surrounding vegetation

screens its view.  It is also secured with a tall fence.

Seven birders on the Bristol Christmas Bird Count were the last to

count waterfowl there 30 Dec 2007 when one of the trustees let

us borrow a key.  That pond  is part of a  570-acre nature preserve

created adjacent to Bristol Tennessee.

Let's go birding . . . .